Dude -”I need a website, how much is that?”

January 12, 200814 Comments

First of all if you need a website – get yourself over here to get a quote..

As most website developers know, quoting for a project based on the clients vague “I need a website, how much does it cost” statements can be a royal pain in the behind. You often seen developers asking how much to charge around the web in forums etc. Here is some solid advice.

1) How much is the competition charging for a similar project? Especially in your area.

2) Are you a new designer / developer? If so, you are still working to create a name for your self. This could come at a cost, since sometimes to get the job and good review you will need to lower your prices.

3) Charge by the hour.

Remember… cheap is not always good… find something in betweent that will guarantee you get the job and create some word of mouth. At the same time make sure it makes you some money to justify your hard work.
One such tool to extract the requirements out of the is a quote sheet / requirements document, if you haven’t yet got one for your site, might be worth having a look through some of these. I plan on updating my own, and adding it to this list in a bit, I’ve yet to sift through the best / most relevant questions asked by some of these agencies / freelancers.

Filed in: BusinessWeb Design
Tagged with:

Comments (14)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Michael says:

”I need a website, how much is that?” I’ve heard that quite a few times over the years :-) As you say you need to work with the potential client and get a detailed spec drawn up.

“cheap is not always good” – If you intend to run as a business with business costs then you’ll soon find out that cheap doesn’t work.

2. Justin Parks says:

Cost cost cost, I have developed a stutter continually repeating myself to clients that its basically “as long as a piece of string”…

I have come to the point of simply telling clients “Whats your budget?” and even though this gets a few hmms and ahhhss its much less of a run around than any other method I have found. Telling them that if they want to what your minimum price is and saying it then goes in increments depending on what you want usually helps to close a deal and solidify the client.

And the cheap comment? No its not always good, especially if the client is a business and is serious about seeing a return on the site!

3. Chuck says:

[quote]While the downloads and client questionnaires are all well and good I want to ask just how many clients actually do fill them in? Are you not kept waiting for weeks at a time?[/quote]

We have a great success rate with this document, it helps us to identify clients who we want to work with and who are serious about committing to the job ahead. When we receive a phone call from a potential client, after a short chat, our initial port of call is to ask them to fill out the requirements document before we go any further. Serious clients will often reply within days if not on the same day. This provides us with a very useful stepping stone from which to launch a fresh project.

Hope this helps,
    Chuck.

4. Paul Anthony says:

Hi Charlie, thanks for your comments / feedback. Big hello to Paul, Jamie and all the guys at Front.

Paul.

5. Desaraev says:

Let me know if you ever need extra freelance help.

6. Road Safety says:

Nice info and links. thnks

7. Neil Patel says:

Whilst i agree with the some of the comments. Who buys a pair of shoes without knowing they fit and how much they cost. Costs from one company to another vary so much that the poor webidiotz are left wondering who is telling the truth. So we made it some get a free custom made design and see how it fits and also we will give you a fixed price.

8. Peter says:

I loved this blog post, since I am a manager of company that makes custom built websites, you won’t believe how much we get customers who haven’t got a single clue as to security risks they face working with smaller companies, and not even price for money ratio. Posts like these are very good, they educate public that’s what we need more.

9. Hi – I’ve only just read this blog. Its great, well done!

Template style web designs are making people believe that building a site is easy and cheap nowadays, and it is, if that’s all you want.

The misconception that the same price tags should follow for fully functional optimised sites is frustrating.

Setting a budget at an early stage can solve a lot of problems!

10. James says:

I fully agree with Patrick. Templates are really short-termed. Use and throw. You wanna redesign or make a major update, you gotta search for another template again. Get a fully customized design and stick to its theme as it is going to be exactly as you want and as you need. Comprising in few dollars may be idiocy. Loss is loss, may it be $5 or $5000 and remember advertising dollars are very difficult to return back.

11. Kris says:

well,

Nothing is absolute. whether you quote by hour, or a flat rate fee, more or less, cheap or costly, it all depends on your LUCK..

there have been days when I charged top dollar and customers paid and I lost some project bids inspite of quoting cheap prices.

Each customer is unique and has a different mindset. gotta try luck and keep persisting.